top of page

How Do I Get a U.S. Passport?

Image by Spencer Davis


Please Note that check or money orders are the ONLY forms of payment accepted by mail to the U.S. Department of State. Cash and checks are the forms of payment accepted by the Martinsburg Public Library for the execution fee.

Martinsburg Public Library Passport Acceptance Hours


Mondays and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.; Tuesdays from 3:30 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.; Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.; and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.

Passport acceptance services are offered at the Martinsburg branch of the Martinsburg-Berkeley County Public Libraries ONLY. 

Please call the Martinsburg Public Library at
(304) 267-8933
 for appointments and for more information.

Passport photos that meet the official government requirements are now available to be taken at the library.

 $15 dollars per set per person.

(All taxes included)

(using passport application DS-11)


Note: You must apply for a new passport in person using a form DS-11 if you can answer yes to any of the following:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport

  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16

  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged

  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

  • Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change




For those individuals who qualify to complete a passport renewal, it is not necessary to submit the renewal application in person.

Passport Renewal form

FOR MINOR APPLICANTS (Age 15 or under)

Both parents/guardians must appear in person with the child and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the child. If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent/guardian.

If the child only has one parent/guardian, evidence of sole authority to apply for the child must be submitted with the application in the form of a:

  • Court order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)

  • A court order specifically permitting the applying parent to apply for the child’s passport

  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent

  • Death certificate of the non-applying parent

  • Photocopies and notarized copies are unacceptable


If the child has two parents/guardians, but one is absent and cannot be located to provide parental consent in a timely manner, the applying parent must submit Form DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances.  The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent's or guardian’s unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent. The applying parent also may be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document his/her claim of exigent or special circumstances. To protect against international parental child abduction, the Passport Agency processing the application may ask for additional details if the statement is determined to be insufficient.


If both parents or guardians are unavailable, a third party may apply for a passport for the child with a signed, notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third party to apply for the child. Each statement must be accompanied by a photocopy of the parents' or guardians' identification. When the statement of affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.


IMPORTANT NOTE: The written consent from the non-applying parent that accompanies an application for a new passport must be less than three months old.  New written consent from the non-applying parent must be obtained and submitted with any future passport application for the child under age 16.

bottom of page